Many users have sent us feedback about windows driver failures in Thinkpad T400:
"Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered."
Recently, Windows 7 English version has been added into Thinkpad T400, including display driver in default, so there is no installation of any display driver in this system. Later, it comes with a systematic display driver failure where the interface has been disabled and then with an alert: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered. What's worse is that Blue Screen of Death can also come across.
Among some popular graphics driver brands such as AMD ATI, NVIDIA and Intel, this kind of display driver failure is common to see, especially when we are in games. It often becomes black screen at first, then recovers in a second. How can we solve the problem easily and effectively?
This prompt appears in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, except for Windows XP. But it doesn't mean that there is no driver problem in windows XP, just because Microsoft has improved Windows from time to time for ensuring the stability of the systems. Microsoft has made some promotion in Windows Vista and Windows 7 in order to achieve better user experience on the condition that GPU is frequently and quickly occupied.
The reasons and solutions of the display drive failure are analyzed in the following:
Reason 1: when we set the display effect as aero glass and start desktop combo, the graphics will switch 2D and 3D displays. 2D display frequency can be shown as 3D display frequency under the effect of aero glass on the desktop as long as the graphics is pretty good.
If not, especially with integrated graphics or lower one, the computer will fail to achieve the frequent and accelerating switch, then become disabled which leads to black screen, crash and the graphics driver stopped responding in Windows 7.
There are several steps for us to solve the problem effectively.
1) Click "Start button", right click "This PC" then choose "properties";
2) Click "Advanced System Settings", choose "Advanced" and "settings" under performance;
3) Disabled "save taskbar thumbnail previews" and "show shadows under mouse pointer";
4) Hit "OK", then the screen will become faded to switch display effect.
PS: After turning off "show shadows under mouse pointer", "Aero peek will automatically close because it is based on the former condition. All steps done, then the display will work well, if you have any doubt, please restart your computer.
Reason 2: If the steps above don't work, then it may be some driver problems such as incompatible drivers, driver conflicts, incorrect installation of drivers etc. In this case, what you need do is to clean and rearrange your system totally.
1) Download and install Driver Booster 5. It will begin to scan your PC automatically when you run it. Then there will be a list of out-dated drivers. Check out the graphics driver you need to update in the list and uninstall it, then restart your computer.
Generally, after uninstall all graphics drivers, you need to clean all the registration information manually before restarting the computer. But with Driver Booster, you don't need to worry about it because all these including driver files and registration information can be automatically repaired by Driver Booster, reducing the instability of systems.
2) After restarting, run Driver Booster again, the system will automatically analyze your graphics drivers and then remind you to install a proper one, no worry about the compatibility of the installation because Driver Booster has a large database to help you choose the most compatible one.